Disclaimer: This post is really long and probably boring!
This is our year. For the past two weeks I have been reading Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey. I have heard hin on the radio before and my parents have read his book and swear by it. One thing that is great about him is the fact that he is religious and he always says to pay 10% to your church (tithing), so it fits so well with what I already believe. I have been wanting to read it for a while now and this year my parents gave it to me for my birthday. They were really worried that I would think that it was a lame gift, but it really has been the best gift so far! David and I have made some DUMB choices when it comes to purchases. Sometimes we just don't want to wait for things, so we use credit to pay for them. I really hate that I am one of those poeple! We always regret it later. I really hate to say that we have credit card debt, so I just pay my payments and ignore it. Well, this month in the Ensign the Visiting Teaching message is all about getting out of debt. David and I have decided that enough is enough and we are committed to paying it all off this year. That is my goal, to be debt free! One of the other motivators is that we can't move out of our condo until all of it is paid off. We want to be able to afford a bigger house, but the thing holding us back is all the stupid payments we have toward debt! That, and the fact that the market stinks right now, so we couldn't get what we wanted out of this place anyway. Our three bedroom two bath home is getting smaller everyday and with baby number 4 on the way, it is a wonder how we fit all of us in this little place.
We just filed our taxes last night and we should be getting enough money back to make a huge dent in our debt and get our $1000 emergency fund in place. We have some money saved, but sadly not enough to cover that. The other thing we have to look forward to is the insurance money we will get back after A.J. is born. We signed up for two poilcies (Aflac and Conseco) a couple years ago that will pay us $5400 when we have the baby. It paid all our medical bills and more when we had Avery and that is one of the reasons her and the next baby will be so close. Most of these insurance companies have discontinued these types of policies because they don't make any money on them (DUH!). But since we still have it, they will have to pay us. So, when we get that money back, we will be able to pay more things off.
It is so amazing to me that there is an end in sight. I slept so well last night knowing that we are finally going to get out from under this boulder. I can't explain how excited I am to not have to worry about debt anymore. This is all really hard for me to admit, I almost didn't post this because I hate to hang my dirty laundry out to dry! There isn't anyone in the world who wants their faults out there for the world to see! But I feel like if I do this, it is one more thing to keep me motivated. Wish us luck! This is going to be a really tough year!
5 comments:
I think that is a fantastic plan! Good luck, like you said it will be rough!!! I got myself into some debt when I was younger (nothing terrible, but debt is debt) and controling your spending is really hard, but when you see your debt getting smaller and your savings getting bigger it feels plenty good to make up for the control you had to exercise to get it that way. Go CARMEN!!!
Carmen,
I love Dave Ramsey's system too! I want that book (it's on my birthday list. :) and have set his goals as ours, too, but haven't seriosly done too much about it.
But this year we are going to pay off our stinkin' credit card debt! Then the car, then the student loans.
Thanks for your inspiration - maybe we can help keep each other motivated!
Also, how do you fit everyone in your condo? With baby #2 coming soon, I am feeling so cramped and smooshed and longing for a bigger HOUSE. I am grateful for my blessings....just would love some more room and a backyard. :) But the debt has got to go away first!
Good luck! It will be worth it!
We are doing the same thing. My best friend is fantastic with budgets and she put us on a very strict one the middle of January. It is really hard to follow, but I know that I can't quit working until everything is paid off, so that is a fantastic incentive! We were able to do the same with taxes and this morning I was able to almost pay off a credit card. If you looked out your window right now you would see me doing cartwheels :) ha ha
Debt is so stupid, and I will be glad when everything is paid off ,except the house(next July at the latest) YEAH! Good luck, and if you ever get the spending bug you can call me and I will talk you out of it :)
It sounds like you guys have a great plan. It's always nice to have an end in site. One day I will see our end in site. :) It takes a lot to post anything you feel like you fell short on. Jas and I have definitely learned from our 'youth'. Good luck!!!
good job getting on top of everything... debt scares me so much! It sounds like you guys have a good plan in action
Post a Comment