Thursday, 28 May 2009

My Great-Grandparents Funeral

Faye and George Peterson

Faye Johnson Peterson 1917 ~ 2009 George P. Peterson 1914 ~ 2009 Faye Elaine Johnson Peterson, age 92, passed away on May 23, 2009. She was born April 6, 1917 in Wilford, Idaho to Edward William and Lucinda Pincock Johnson. Faye is survived by a brother, Norman (Rita) Johnson. Preceded in death by sister, June Brewer; three brothers, Gordan, Vaughn and Albert Johnson. George Peter Peterson, age 95, passed away May 21, 2009. Born May 20, 1914, in Plano, Idaho, to Joseph M. and Sarah Minnie Chandler Peterson. George is survived by his sister, Leda Lee of Ogden. Preceded in death by parents Joseph and Sarah Peterson; one brother Evain Peterson; two sisters Pearl Smith and Belle Hemsley. George and Faye were married in the Logan Temple, July 26, 1935. As members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, they were dedicated servants. They are survived by their seven children: Elwood (Myrna), Ronald (Kathy) of West Valley City, UT; Larin of Clinton, UT; Linda Adams of Rexburg, ID; Gene (Dawn Marie) of Manti, UT; Wayne (Betty) of Payson; Nancy (Lyle) Chandler of Rexburg, ID; 44 grandchildren, 109 great-grandchildren and 19 great-great-grandchildren. They are preceded in death by their son, Rex. A special thanks to all at Legacy House of Taylorsville Assisted Living for their kindness, love and affection shown at all times and especially at this time. A funeral service will be held Thursday, May 28, 2009, 12:00 noon at the Hunter Village Ward, 7035 West Loch Ness Avenue (3605 South). A viewing will be held Wednesday, May 27, from 6-8 p.m. at McDougal Funeral Home, 4330 South Redwood Road and at the church 10:30-11:30 a.m. prior to services. A second funeral service will be held Friday, May 29, 2009, 1:00 p.m. at the Sugar City 4th Ward, 6 North Teton Avenue in Sugar City, Idaho. A viewing will be held from 11:30-12:30 p.m. prior to services. Interment, Sugar City Cemetery.

Today was the funeral for my sweet great-grandparents! It was such an amazing service. Last week they passed away within two days of each other. Grandma told Grandpa he had to go first because she was scared so he did! We will really miss them, but we are so happy that they got to go together. They were such amazing people and I learned so many new things about them! I have a couple things in common with each of them. I get my love of ketchup from Grandpa (I eat ketchup on all my meat!), and the fact that I am a pretty good speller from Grandma. I have so many memories of them! It was so neat to recall all the good times we had with them up in Idaho. They moved to Utah a couple years ago to live at the Legacy House. It was so nice to have them closer to us. I have some pictures of my girls with them too. I am pretty sure that Alyssa was their first great-grandchild and Abbey was the second. We have such a huge family and it was great to get to see some of my relatives that I haven't seen in a while.

I want to share the poem that was printed on the back of the program. It was written by a nurse, but I don't know if it was one of their nurses or not. It fits them perfectly either way!

ETERNAL LOVE

Today the Lord came down and took
My love away from me.
"Oh Lord," I prayed, "please don't you know
how lonely I will be?
Please bring him back and let me share
the life I planned for us.
Oh listen to me Lord," I prayed.
"Please bring him back! You must!"
I fell upon my knees and cried.
I begged and prayed all night,
When suddenly my darkened room
Began to fill with light.
My husband stood before me,
His face so pure with love.
"Oh thank you, Lord, you brought him back.
Thank you dear God above."
"No, dearest," said my sweetheart
I can't come back, you see,
I'm here because your love's so strong
You get to come with me!"
-Jamie Shorp, RN

5 comments:

Schroeder's in a NUT SHELL! said...

What a sweet experience for them, and for you.....they sound like they were wonderful grandparents....

Krystal said...

I saw this obituary in the paper this week and thought it was so sweet and sad that the couple had passed just a few days apart... I didn't realize they were your great-grandparents... I'm so sorry for the loss, but happy that they went so close together and you were able to have one nice funeral for them. Thanks for sharing that poem too, that was sweet.

Julie said...

What an incredble poem...it gave me goosebumps!

Tiffany said...

Wow what a great poem! How amazing that they would go 2 days apart!! You hear of things like that happening but to actually see the proof is pretty dang incredible!!

Mindy said...

That is absolutely amazing that they passed away so close together. I always hope that that's how Joel and I will go, within days of each other. That sounds so much less lonely.