Wednesday, 4 August 2010

Avery's Little Injury

Yesterday while I was trying to get dinner done, Abbey was playing with Avery and I heard her start crying. I figured Avery had just fallen down, so I really didn't think much of it. She wouldn't stop crying and she wouldn't let me put her down either. Anytime I tried to move her she would cry harder. I knew something was wrong so I told David we needed to take her to the emergency room to find out what was bothering her. At first I couldn't figure out what was hurting, but after a little while I noticed that she wasn't moving her right arm. Abbey told me that she was trying to get Avery up onto her back to give her a piggy back ride and that's when she got hurt. We went to Primary Children's because I thought that she might need an x-ray and that would be the best place to go since she was so little. After seeing the nurse, the nurse practitioner and the doctor they all told us the same thing- that it was "nurse-maid's elbow" which basically means that the ligament in her elbow had shifted because Abbey pulled on her arm really hard. All they had to do was pop it back in place and she was just fine. It was only minutes before she started to act like herself again. I am glad it wasn't anything too serious. They did tell us to be careful though, because now that it has happened to her, it could happen again really easily.

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Poor Avery, thank goodness it wasn't broken!

Julie said...

Oh the joys of older siblings...I swear, Grant was crying all day from things the boys were doing to him...poor #3 children...I'm so happy she's feeling better and it wasn't worse.

Schroeder's in a NUT SHELL! said...

Kristi had "nursemaid's elbow" a ton of times when she was little....we had to be so careful even tugging on her arm....the ligaments do get stronger when they get older, but for right now it might happen again.....and yes, it really does hurt...at least it wasn't broken...thank heavens...poor little thing, brought back memories...