Thursday, 5 March 2009

Poor Avery!

Little Avery has been congested for the last few days and has had a cough, so I called the doctor's office yesterday and since there are SO many kids with RSV they wanted me to come in and have her checked out. The RSV test was negative (thank goodness), so the doctor thinks it is just a cold. I figured it was only a matter of time since Alyssa is just getting over a cold and Abbey has had a runny nose and cough due to a double ear infection. I have been careful to not take Avery out too many places to keep her healthy, but how do you protect them from all the germs in your very own home?? I am using a humidifier and doing my best to keep her nose cleaned out so she can breathe. Also, while we were at the doctor, he heard a heart murmur! Avery's regular pediatrician didn't catch it, so that makes me nervous. So now I have an appointment with a cardiologist at Primary Children's in April to get that checked out. The doctor thinks it is most likely not a big deal, he says it is probably an artery that takes blood from her heart to her lungs that is a little too narrow, but it should grow as she grows and it will fix itself. Basically, he said that the appointment with the cardiologist is just to confirm what he thinks. I will let you know about that after her appointment.

Other than that, things are going well. I am feeling a lot better now, I am no longer on any antibiotics. We are still trying to get Avery on a better sleep schedule, she likes to stay up late and sleep in! Which doesn't work well for me since I like to go to bed early and get up early. I am sure we will get on a better schedule soon.

I also want to add that I have a brand new nephew! Hunter Bryan Maples was born last night at 6:15 pm. He was 7 lbs 11 oz and 20 inches long. I am so excited for Bryan and Dayna! Congrats you two! And welcome to the family baby Hunter!

8 comments:

Julie said...

I'm sorry about Avery. My doctor told me when Tanner had RSV that it's way more common in babies who have siblings in school, since they bring a lot of germs home with them. Also,when Tanner got RSV his first test was negative,and a few days later he was a lot worse, so just be careful and if she sounds any worse take her back in. Hope she gets better soon. Also, when Grant was born they heard a heart murmur and then he got checked again and they didn't hear it anymore, so hopefully the same will happen with Avery.

Schroeder's in a NUT SHELL! said...

Carmen...don't worry too much about the heart murmur (I know easier said than done)...like the doctor said, it will probably work itself out..pretty common..but always helps to get confirmation from the cardiologist...your girls are beautiful...like Julie said, just keep an eye on Avery...Kati had the same thing when she was 5 wks old...they missed it at an apt Saturday, Monday and on Tuesday suggested it might be RSV...that night we had her at Primary's where she stayed for 6 days with RSV..(of course they didn't test for RSV until we had her at the hospital...I'm glad Avery was tested) lots of sick kids and adults right now .. yuck!!

The Reimers Family said...

I hope you hear good news from the cardiologist, when it rains it pours!Hang in there!!

Krystal said...

I hope Avery gets better, and that her heart is okay. I don't know how to keep her from getting sick... I am around sick kids all day and get REALLY sick at least once a year. I can't imagine it with a baby.

audge8 said...

Carm-
Sorry about little Avery :) It is so hard to keep them away from all the germs that are in your own house!!! Try not to worry too much about her heart...I will keep you guys in my prayers.

Jana said...

The cold/cough/ear infections must be going around. We've been dealing with the same thing at our house. That's no fun! We are just barely getting over it.. hopefully! Good luck!

Julie said...

Hey! I am updated on the Eggers! Wow, you guys have had some serious health issues. I am glad that everyone is surviving and it sounds like everything will be just fine!!

Tiffany said...

I hope sweet Avery gets feeling better soon! Having sick babies is the worst!! Both my boys had murmurs, William's wasn't heard until he was 2 months and was gone by the time Primary's could get us in to the cardiologist (same as your doc thought it would resolve itself) Matthew's took longer his was more prominent but was gone by the time he was 6 months... Good luck!