Friday, 17 April 2009

Avery's Visit to the Cardiologist

When Avery was three weeks old she had a cold. I called the pediatrician's office to ask what the symptoms of RSV are so I would know whether or not it was serious. I really didn't think it was RSV because she wasn't coughing a ton, she was just really congested. The nurse I talked to said that there were so many babies with RSV at the time and that I should bring her in to be tested just to make sure that wasn't what it was. I took Avery in and we saw one of the other doctors in the practice and he thought he could hear a murmur when he listened to her heart. (Her RSV test was negative.) He thought that it was probably nothing serious, but suggested we see a cardiologist just to make sure. He said that it was most likely the artery that goes from the lungs to the heart that was a little narrow and it would naturally open up as she grows. A couple weeks ago I thought Abbey had an ear infection so I took her to see the doctor and while we were there, I had our pediatrician listen to Avery to see if he could hear the murmur. I told him that I had an appointment with a cardiologist to get it checked out. He said he couldn't hear it, but I should keep the appointment with the cardiologist just to be safe. Well, today was her appointment. They did an EKG and took her blood pressure. I explained everything to the doctor about taking her in to be tested for RSV and he said that sometimes when babies are sick, their organs are working harder and that could explain why the pediatrician heard the murmur in the first place. When the doctor listened to her heart he said he couldn't hear anything abnormal and that her EKG looked perfect! He told us to cross this off our list of things to worry about. I will do that for sure! I am so glad she is healthy- we are so blessed to have healthy girls! They also weighed her at the appointment today and she weighs 10 lbs 6 oz. So she has only gained about 3 1/2 pounds since she was born. I can't remember how tall they said she was, but we go in for her two month check-up on the 28th, so I will update that later.

7 comments:

The INCREDIBLE Pettit's said...

Yes definately cross that off your list...I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Who did you see?

Krystal said...

glad her heart is okay!

The INCREDIBLE Pettit's said...

We know Dr. Gray very well, he had the horible job of delivering our news.

Chelsee said...

Oh boy I am glad there was nothing to find. BTW thanks for your comment on my glad you are too kind. Look forward to see ya all in October. I know it is far away but it is fun to think about

The Reimers Family said...

That's such a relief!

Tiffany said...

Oh what great news!! I'm so happy she is okay!

Nyall and Jennifer said...

I'm so glad Avery is okay!